About the Author
Technical Analysis Education, Professional Standards and Ethics
The Market Technicians Association (MTA) is a not-for-profit professional regulatory organization servicing over 2,700 market analysis professionals in overÂ 61 countries around the globe. The MTA\'s main objectives involve the education of the public, the investment community and its membership in the theory, practice and application of technical analysis.
The MTA has the following stated mission:
- Attract and retain a membership of professionals devoting their efforts to using and expanding the field of technical analysis and sharing their body of knowledge with their fellow members.
- Establish, maintain, and encourage the highest standards of professional competence and ethics among technical analysts.
- Educate the public and the investment community of the value and universality of technical analysis.
The MTA mission is accomplished through the effective execution of a wide variety of professional services including, but not limited to, Seminars, local Region/Chapter meetings, the maintenance of an extensive library of technical analysis material and the regular publication of Newsletters and Journals.
MTA members and affiliates include technical analysts, portfolio managers, investment advisors, market letter writers and others involved in the technical aspects of equities, futures, options, fixed income securities, currencies, international markets, derivatives, etc.
Services provided to our members and affiliates are performed by a small NYC based Headquarter staff, an active Board of Directors, Committee Chairs and an extensive cadre of volunteers located in both U.S. and non-U.S. markets.
Why Join the MTA?
Before making a commitment to join an organization, the question sitting on your mind is always, "Why?"
The Market Technicians Association provides our membership with the best and most current technical analysis information environment in the industry. Membership with the CMT also allows for the studying and securing of the CMT designation, the â€œGold Standardâ€ designation for market technicians.
Benefits of Having a Membership
- Be a part if the world\'s most recognized technical analysis association; to see a video of the history of the MTA, click here.
- Live webcasts (at leastÂ 3 per month) as part of our Educational Web Series, which are also archived for future reference.
- The ability to participate in the CMT Program; click here to see a brochure discussing the Value of the CMT.
- Monthly e-Newsletters that contain articles, book reviews, interviews, and much more written by other members and professionals within the MTA and financial community.
- Annual Seminar available at a Member discounted price featuring some of the best leaders in the field of technical analysis today!
- Web access to archived local chapter meetings, past newsletters, previous technical analysis journals, seminar presentations, and much more.
- Web access to various discussion groups as well as membership networking with over 2,800 fellow Members and Affiliates located in 61 countries.
- Library of over 4,000 technical analysis oriented materials.
- Available CMT preparation courses, CMT practice exams, quiz cards, and DVDs at member discounted rates.
To see additional information or to join our organization, please visit the MTA website.
The History of the MTA
The Market Technicians Association (MTA) was incorporated as a not-for-profit Association in 1973, but began holding meetings as early as 1971. There were 18 charter members in 1973, but the 3 â€œfoundersâ€ are considered to be Ralph Acampora, John Brooks and John Greeley. These charter members found that they were doing the same thing for a living (practicing technical analysis), and believed there should be an organization similar to the one that already existed for the fundamental analysts already. At first, the MTA was a New York based group, however, as it became apparent that there were technical analysts all over the globe, the MTA transformed first to a U. S. based and eventually to a global professional Association. Today, MTAâ€™s total membership is over 2,700, with members located inÂ 61 countries. Read More...