Zacks’ Voice of the People Highlights user PrimoTenore: “The case for PALM as an acquisition target” from the People & Picks community.
For more Voice of the People, visit http://at.zacks.com/?id=5851
The case for PALM as an acquisition target
There’s a really good article on Gizmodo on why Google (GOOG) should buy Palm (PALM). Here’s the short version of the argument:
1. Apple (AAPL) has already started a patent war with HTC, whose real target is Android.
2. Palm has a great big portfolio of patents, some of which may be grounds for suits against Apple for infringement.
3. Palm is dirt cheap to a company like Google or even Motorola (MOT).
4. Palm’s army of WebOS software developers should integrate nicely with Google’s Android team, since their shared Linux lineage make them kissing cousins.
5. Palm is staffed very heavily with former Apple employees who would have firsthand insight to inform Google’s battle plan.
6. Palm has experts in hardware development, a function Google is currently farming out to minor players like HTC.
7. Palm has a whole team in carrier relations. If Google is going to make real progress getting Verizon, AT&T and the like to push Google devices on their customers, those relationships could use a boost.
Looking at a chart of Palm, it’s hard to see how it could go much lower. This is a very compelling case for what an attractive takeover target it would be. I think it’s a good speculative pick at this price.
About the Zacks Community
In 2008, Zacks Investment Research launched PeopleAndPicks.com, a stock-picking website where members of the Zacks community can test their strategies and share ideas with other members. Each user is scored on the accuracy of his or her picks, and top users are rewarded with free products from Zacks. Registration is free. To learn more visit http://www.PeopleAndPicks.com